penseeandcreme

Saturday, May 26, 2007

This was one of those mornings where I woke up, opened the window and giddily said to myself,"Oh my God! I actually live here!" It is another beautiful, sunny day here in Seattle. I asked A. and Z. to get dressed to go for a walk with me. They happily obliged. A. asked, since we were walking the mile and a half to her new middle school, if we could invite Earthmama's daughter. She wanted to go, and Earthmama decided to come too. Though the walk was a little longer than we are used to, it went by quickly. We had great conversation (as good friends always do!) All of the rhododendron trees are in full bloom with unimaginably bright colors. One of the reasons for the walk this morning was to teach A. the route to her new school so she will be prepared for the fall. We are going to make this trip several times over the course of the summer so she can find her way easily. Because the district is short on money for transportation, middleschoolers have to walk if they live 2 miles or less from school. I have no problem with A. walking or riding her bike, but this will be the first time she will be walking such a long distance without her Mom or Daddy. I am so glad she will have C. with her. I know that part of rearing children is letting them go a little bit at a time, but that doesn't mean it's easy.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger meno said...

It was a beautiful day. When it's nice here, there's no where better.

Talk about letting them go; i let Em drive on the streets for the first time today. She did pretty well, but it took me a while to calm down. Just you wait!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Schmoopie said...

Wow. Em must be so excited! You must be really proud. Talk about the ultimate in independence. The thought of a child being able to navigate the streets out on her own is staggering!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my God, A is growing up! Is A excited about the walk? Are you getting her a cell phone?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Schmoopie said...

Pants- Yes, she is so excited to learn the route! She has a cell phone now and I feel better that she can call if she runs into trouble. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home