penseeandcreme

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Stucco is big in Japan (guest written by Stucco)

So, in the world of Stucco, "normal" is a very skewed baseline, but yesterday featured a deviation from that adjusted standard that was amusing. In San Francisco yesterday, at Pier 39 (or thereabouts) I was sitting on the edge of a flowerbox, minding my own whatnot, and noticing the considerable obesity of the average tourist (not that I was helping this average), when out of nowhere (well, somewhere I'm sure, but I hadn't noticed specifically where) I spy two Japanese women. Okay- I'm assuming japanese. Realisticially, they may have been Chinese, Phillipino, Korean, Vietnamese, Laotian, or Cambodian. I'm by no means an authority on spot-identifying someone's ancestry, but I THINK they were Japanese.
So these "Japanese" women were taking pictures (stereotype, anyone?) and I felt as though I might have been in the way- as though they were trying to take pictures of the flowerboxes or such. I looked away to try and locate the rest of my familial posse, and when I noticed the "Japanese" women again, there was only a "Japanese" woman left- one was gone, which I presumed meant that one had ducked into a kitchy shop for her perfunctory 3 San Fran t-shirts for $10.
Well, that presumption was all wrong, as teh next thing I know, the missing "Japanese" woman turned up sneakily behind me, leaning forward to be seen in a picture being taken by the non-missing "Japanese" woman who was still weilding the camera. In fact, I was squarely in the picture, which I immediately assumed I was wrecking, and I stood up to get the hell out of the way. What an ass I had been making these "Japanese" women labor so furiously to get a picture of a flowerbox. Not so! No sooner had I stood up than the pleading began. I think I got as far as "Here- I'll mo..." when I was interrupted in stereo. The sneaking lurker starts in with "No no no" and the one with the camera saying "Together", then the assorted "please" almost in harmony. Who the hell am I to deny a traveler their hard won freak show pictures? I sat back down and was immortalized by strangers.
Then, I began to wonder why. There were ponderously bulky and pasty white Americans everywhere, so apart from my possibly advantageous selection of scenery (vis a vis, the flowerbox), why would I have merited extra effort? Then I thought perhaps I thought it might have been my Chuck Taylor high-tops, because they are a dying breed and transcend cultural lines. That didn't seem to be it either. In the end, I'm left to believe it was my handlebar moustache. That was, and is, about the only thing I find here that is not adopted by the locals (which I take as an affirmation). So that's my best guess. Feel free to speculate wildy in the comments. Schmoopie said it's simply because I'm so dashingly handsome, but she's starved of Latte, and babbling. Plus, we already know her particular flaws of character and judgement, as she was foolhardy enough to marry me.

Cheers from the inexplicably sunny San Fran (where I'm now sporting a sunburn!)

-Stucco (in for Schmoopie, who is running blocking for my mother)

4 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Schmoopie said...

They wanted a "real man" in their picture. Handlebar mustache or not, Japanese men tend to be on the "small" end of the scale in every way. Stucco is on the large end of the scale, in every way so they got excited. What can I say? "No, you can't have him! Okay, maybe just one picture!"

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think they were scouting you for part of an obstacle course on a new Japanese game show. Have their people called yours yet?

Heheheh...Schmoop said big...

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Julie said...

I was sent here by Nancy Dancehall...rumor has it you want to move to Portland and I live in Portland. Not only that, but my fiance speaks Japanese and we went to Tokyo 2 years ago and people were always running up to us and taking pictures with us. So if you move here, we will already have things to talk about!

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the best time to make a few plans for [url=http://www.cheapuggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]ugg boots cheap[/url] the future and it is time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I may I wish to recommend you few attention-grabbing things or tips. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. [url=http://www.cheapuggbootsinuk2013.co.uk]ugg boots cheap[/url] , I wish to read more things about it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home