penseeandcreme

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Strange Sights Downtown

I thought I'd share a few unusual things seen in passing while we were downtown on Monday.

A presumably homeless fellow was holding a large sign that read: "My father was killed by ninjas and I need to avenge his death. Need money for karate lessons!"

While walking by the Walgreens store we saw a young guy sitting against the wall on the sidewalk, surrounded by cops. The funny thing was, the cops were bicycle cops, wearing helmets, and had made a sort of barrier around the guy with their bikes. The guy was nearly crying and saying he didn't do whatever it was they were accusing him of doing. I felt that it was sort of odd that it seemed to take 4 officers and their bicycles to subdue one small guy who was in tears.

When we exited a t-shirt shop at the end of the day, a man came up to us with his ferret and told us he had "saved" the ferret from a house fire and was collecting money for his care. He let the kids hold the ferret so I gave him a dollar. Very creative stories for collecting cash!

While A. was making a purchase at the Market, Z. and I were watching a guy playing a piano and a gal who had been dancing, fight for space to perform. The piano guy was furious at the woman because she was crowding his space (taking possible cash-flow from him.) It was a peaceful, reasonable-type argument that ended with the piano player leaving in a huff.

I've always enjoyed people-watching, and downtown Seattle offers quite a bit of interesting people to observe.

5 Comments:

At 8:17 AM, Blogger Jill said...

The guy with the ninja sign cracks me up. I think I'd have to give him $5 just for the entertainment. :)

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Cheesy said...

Oh my if they could only focus that creativity at a real job....
I too adore people watching. Don't get to do it as must as I wish..... looking forward to less foggy weather so I can SEE people again!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think the first guy was D-man.

http://d-manbitesdog.com/

House fire, huh? With all that rain? He should say he saved it from drowning.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Schmoopie said...

Jill- I loved his sign too. What's even more funny, my 6 year old, who is reading pretty well now, read the sign aloud and was very concerned for the fellow. I believe he would have gone with the guy to fight the ninjas!

Cheesy- It's been pretty clear here the last few days, but I enjoy a good fog now and then! The airport is another great people-watching area!

Pants- Heh. Zac will help D-Man fight ninjas!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger KelKel said...

Sounds a lot like when I was in San Fran. visiting on the pier. Lots of "UNIQUE" people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home