penseeandcreme

Monday, August 07, 2006


So we were heading out on some errands today, when the kiddos begged to bring the dogs with us. I drive a tiny car so it resembles a clown car when we all go out, but I relented and let them tag along. We had a heart-stopping moment when Sal (our 10 month old choc. lab) set his paw on the button that rolls the window down. Now, he loves to ride with his head out, ears flapping in the breeze and he does this quite often. This time, however, he rolled the window all the way down and as I turned the corner at Arapahoe and Colorado (a very busy intersection) he fell out of the window! I heard a jingle followed by a "thunk" as he hit the pavement running. I turned around and saw the window all the way down and Sal gone. I immediately did a U-turn and stopped the car on the right side of the road, hazards on hoping we wouldn't get smashed from behind by another approaching vehicle. Meanwhile Sal was going from car to car looking for us. We were very lucky that the light was red!! He then did the smart thing and headed toward the sidewalk where I was calling him. He came to me and hopped right back into the car. The whole episode only lasted maybe 20-30 seconds, but it felt like much longer!! I swear that dog leads a charmed life!! I have realized I now need to make sure the windows are locked out every time he is in the car. They say Labs are a very smart breed. He might just decide one day to roll the window down again and have another adventure. I, for one, will do everything in my power to prevent it!

4 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear lord....

-Stucco

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now this is weird; all week the latest post I've seen has been the July 31 post...

Poor Sal!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Vulgar Wizard said...

He is GORGEOUS!!!! I had a chocolate lab for a while. I miss him. I didn't win custody of him. LOL!

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Schmoopie said...

Thanks vw! I am absolutely crazy about him! I am so sorry that you are missing yours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home